Sharing the history of a proud city rising where the water falls
In 1872 Charles Shaw moved from Biddeford to Boston, where he continued his business success as patent solicitor, banker, doctor, and justice of the peace. He also continued his career as theater manager, and for many years was the owner of one of Boston’s most famous amusements, Austin and Stone’s Museum. In The History of Sanford, Maine, author Edwin Emery described Shaw as “a pre-eminently self-made man, whatever he has become or acquired having been solely by his own unaided exertions, his life presenting a striking illustration of what can be accomplished by the proper exercise of integrity, energy and perseverance.”