In partnership with the Maine Memory Network Maine Memory Network

Biddeford History & Heritage Project

Sharing the history of a proud city rising where the water falls



Ship "Tremblay" on the Saco River, ca. 1917

Item 31752 info
McArthur Public Library

This vessel, named the "Jere G. Shaw" for a prominent businessman of Biddeford, was launched November 16, 1918. She had four masts, was 193 feet long, 36 feet wide, and 15 feet deep. The tip of her mainmast was 120 feet above the deck. She measured 739 tons. Her keel was built of oak from the trees of Biddeford and surrounding York County.

Item 13 of 16